Did you know you may have chosen an e-book that was added to the Welch collection without even knowing it? “Demand-Driven-Acquisitions” is one of the newer approaches Welch uses to develop the online book collection.
How does it work? We develop a profile with an e-book vendor of the books we want by discipline, specialty, date of publication or publisher. The vendor provides us with catalog records for the titles that fit our profile. We put those records in the JHU online catalog but we don’t own the books. When a Hopkins reader searches the catalog, finds a book of interest, clicks on the link to the book and then reads the book -- that’s when Welch buys that book. This approach lets us focus our spending on buying books we know our users are reading.
Below is an example of the top 10 reads from e-books we bought from R2Digital via Demand-Driven-Acquisitions and the number of times they were downloaded in the last 6 months.
1. BASIC BIOSTATISTICS 2274
2. INFECTIOUS DISEASE EPIDEMIOLOGY 632
3. EPIDEMIOLOGY 444
4. 2015-2017 PERIANESTHESIA NURSING STANDARDS, 420
5. ESSENTIALS OF NURSING RESEARCH 287
6. MIDDLE RANGE THEORY FOR NURSING 273
7. ANESTHESIOLOGIST'S MANUAL OF SURGICAL PROCEDURES 262
8. THE ICU BOOK 212
9. ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR IN HEALTH CARE 203
10. CASE FILES™ NEUROLOGY 199